Disclosure: This #BringHillshireHome post is sponsored by Mom It Forward Blogger Network and Hillshire Brands.
You really can’t go wrong with smoked sausage. Sausage (either links, rope, rolls) are always a staple in our freezer. They are easy for those times you don’t have a lot of time to cook or come up with a fancy meal. They are hearty and satisfying. I love that they can go with just about any side dish too. We often just have salad or green beans on the side of grilled sausages and it feels like a complete meal.
The grocery shelves are filled with all sorts of different sausage flavors. Italian Sausage, Spicy Sausage, Cheddar Sausage, Apple Sausage… I’ve seen some creative blends.
Seasoned sausage is not only tasty heated up as-is, but you can also add sausage to an ordinary meal to make it really pop with protein! We like making soups with spicy sausage, breakfast scrambles with sweet sausage flavors, and adding various spicy and cheese sausages to pasta dishes.
I found valuable coupons for sausages, corn dogs and hot dogs at Safeway with the Safeway J4U app. Check out all the coupons they have for Hillshire Brands:
- Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage -$.55/1 ( Hillshire Farm Rope, Link Sausage, American Craft Links)
- Hillshire Farm Cocktails (Lil Smokies) – $.55/1
- Jimmy Dean Refrigerated Sausage -$.55/1 (Roll Sausage, Fully Cooked Crumbles, Links, Patties)
- Jimmy Dean Frozen -$1/1 (Frozen Breakfast (Delights or Red Box)
- State Fair Corn Dogs – $1/1
- Ball Park Hot Dogs -$.55/1 (Ball Park Hot Dogs or Park’s Finest from Ball Park)
I used the $.55 off coupon at Safeway when buying my Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage for making the Sausage & Pepper Gluten Free Penne Pasta.
- 12 oz. Bag of Gluten Free Penne Pasta
- 6 Hillshire Farms Sausages
- 2 bell peppers, any color, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinches (or as desired) Basil, Oregano, Salt, Parsley, Red Pepper Flakes, caraway seeds
- Grated Parmesan
- 1. Cook the penne pasta as directed on package. (You can use GF pasta or regular pasta)
- Cut the sausage into slices.
- 2. Cook the sausage in a skillet on medium-high heat, and continue cooking until browned on all sides and no longer pink in the center. Remove and set aside.
- 3. Using the grease from the sausages, saute the onion, bell peppers, garlic and spices. Stir frequently. Add oil if needed. Cook until the peppers and onion are softened.
- 4. Once the peppers and onions are soft, add a jar of marina sauce and the slices of sausage. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5. Pour the sausage and sauce mixture on the prepared penne pasta.
- 6. Sprinkle with seasonings as desired, parsley, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.
Also, check out some of these great blogger’s recipes!