Throughout summer, many towns and communities host regular Farmers Markets. Around my community, there are a handful of Farmers Markets to choose from. Here are some Farmers Market Tips to make your experience worthwhile:
1. Bring your own bag– I like the ones from Flip and Tumble on Amazon because they come in lots of colors and designs. They are also comfortable on the shoulder! But you can pick them up pretty much anywhere, including your local grocery store. Why use a thin, flimsy bag when you can have something much more sturdy (and cute!).
2. Go early- Heading to the Farmers Market bright and early might be the best of the Farmers Market Tips. Going early means you beat the crowds and get to pick from the best selection. Grab that pick-me-up espresso, your honey or a good pal, and make it a date!
3. Know what’s in season– Foods are at their best when they’re fresh. To help you figure out what’s ripe in your state, check out Sustainable Table. It lets you search what food is in season by state and month.
4. Bring Cash– Some vendors might be able to run a credit or debit card but most probably will not. Save yourself the hassle (and possible fee) by bringing small bills for a quick and smooth transaction.
5. Plan ahead– I love to find recipes that call for fresh produce and spices. Jot down a list of things you might need or be brave and try something new. Don’t be afraid to ask a vendor the best way to cook something or for their suggestions. You might leave with a favorite new recipe!
Have fun! Farmers Markets have a lot to offer and if you haven’t gone before, you must try it out! From personal experience, when you shop in season, you get much better prices. Farmers Markets might be intimidating at first, but you can score some great produce deals! And you know I am a penny-pincher!
What are your thoughts on my Farmers Market Tips? Do you have any Farmers Market Tips to add?