Do you know anyone who cuts out magazine recipes and ACTUALLY makes them? I didn’t think I did either, but my friend Summer proved me wrong! Of course this doesn’t surprise me, she is always cooking up new tasty recipes, and being a creative gal in general!
Anyway, she sent me this recipe to try because "It’s so good I’ve made it two days in a row!". And if it is THAT good, of course I had to share with my readers too!
Banana Chocolate French Toast Recipe
Cooking Light – May 2012
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) slices whole-grain bread
- 4 1/2 tablespoons hazelnut-chocolate spread (ex: Nutella)
- 1 cup thinly sliced banana (about 8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Spread each of 3 bread slices with 1 1/2 tablespoons hazelnut-chocolate spread; arrange 1/3 cup banana slices over each bread slice. Top sandwiches with remaining 3 bread slices.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working with 1 sandwich at a time, place into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides. Carefully place coated sandwiches into pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar.
** Pair with a cup of mixed berries. This recipe is going to be a sure winner for the whole family!
Substitutions: You can substitute other hazelnut spreads instead of Nutella or almond milk instead of low-fat milk. And if you like cinnamon, add a sprinkle of the too! Delicious!
Reader Follow-Up: Doesn’t this recipe make your mouth water? Are you going to try it too?