My hubby is the ULTIMATE breakfast master chef. He makes breakfast for us most weekends, and he knocks it out of the park EVERYTIME. Think I am exaggerating? Think again. (This is my open invitation for you to come to Denver for brunch at our house.) And then, you will see what I mean.
For once. Just for once, I wanted to impress him with my breakfast skills. But I didn’t know how. How do you make breakfast different and original? How can I take breakfast and rock it in my own unique way?
Bacon & Eggs… it’s been done. Quiches… been there, done that. Egg casserole… nothing new.
Then I had it. I saw it on pinterest (surprise, surprise). I took a simple recipe and added my own special touches to make it perfect for our meat-loving household. Behold… Bacon, Sausage, Cheese Muffins!
Bacon, Sausage, Cheese & Egg Muffins
- 1 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 1 cup cooked crumbled breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated cheese of choice (we used cheddar)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (diced)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon. Chop into small-medium bits. Set aside. Using the same skillet, cook crumbled breakfast sausage. Set aside.
- Chop onion (other veggies if you choose). Grease tin cups in a 12 muffin tin pan with butter or shortening.
- Whisk together eggs and milk, a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, sausage, onion and bacon, leaving just a handful of bacon and cheese for the topping. Fill the muffin tip cups evenly with the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining bacon and cheese atop of the egg mixture for presentation purposes!
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, eggs should be completely cooked through (you can test with toothpick). To remove the muffins, run a small butter knife around the cups to loosen and pull up. Serve warm.
** This recipe is a winner! It can be reheated for breakfast, dinner or a quick snack! Not to mention, these are so versatile, you can add the veggies and cheese of your choice, ham and more!