Throughout summer, many towns and communities host regular Farmers Markets. Here are some tips to make your experience worthwhile:
1. Bring your own bag- I like the ones from RuMe but you can pick them up pretty much anywhere, including your local grocery store. Why use a thin, flimsy bag when you can have something much more sturdy (and cute!).
2. Go early- Beat the crowd and pick from the best selection. Grab that pick-me-up espresso, your honey or a good pal, and make it a date!
3. Know what’s in season- Foods are at their best when they’re fresh. To help you figure out what’s ripe in your state, check out this website. It lets you search by state and month.
4. Bring Cash- Some vendors might be able to run a credit or debit card but save yourself the hassle (and possible fee) by bringing small bills for a quick and smooth transaction.
5. Plan ahead- I love to find recipes that call for fresh produce and spices. Jot down a list of things you might need or be brave and try something new. Don’t be afraid to ask a vendor the best way to cook something or for their suggestions.
Have fun! Farmers Markets have a lot to offer and if you haven’t gone before, try it out!